Thursday, June 30, 2016

Thrifty Thursday

I love a good thrift store bargain. In fact, thrifting is one of my favorite things to do. Few things beat the feeling I get when I score a great find. I am obsessed. While the bulk of my thrifting is about finding clothes for my son and I, I have also decorated much of my house using thrifted pieces. It CAN be done on a budget.

Here are five quick tips for thrifting to decorate on a budget!

1. Look for colorful pieces, especially dinnerware. I get so many compliments on my dishes. They are not matchy matchy, but they have so much character. And if a piece breaks, who cares - you spent like a $1 on it and you can find something else later to fill its void.

2. SPRAY PAINT IS YOUR FRIEND. It can update just about anything - I have done tables, chairs, frames, lamps...

$3 glass table with a chipped white paint job is about to get a new lease on life!
3. I only buy picture frames at thrift stores. Buying them new is so expensive. But pictures make a house a home with their memories. Find a good frame, but it is has seen better days? Paint it!

4. Do not hoard. Thrifting is amazing, but do not buy something just because it is a good deal. Hoarding never looks good. Make sure it is something you need/will use.

5. Look for quality furniture. There is a lot of - going to be blunt here because it is necessary - shit furniture at thrift stores. Look at the legs, sit on the cushions, make sure it is made of real wood, look at the lines of the piece, etc. Ugly fabric or paint job can be fixed, but stay away if the bones are bad.

As always, go with a plan in mind and take your time looking (you never know what you will find...and you might not find anything at all on a visit and that is ok).

Finished product: Deep red paint job and a good tabletop cleaning

No comments: