Saturday, November 15, 2008

My s**t

I had a hard time thinking up a title for this post and so I decided I would go with what first came to mind regardless if it is rather inappropriate. Here are some photos of my...well...shit. This is not my usual kind of post, but my parents have been asking me to post photos for months now.
This is the first thing one sees, or at least I see (because very few people have ever been to my apartment), when I come home. My phone station, as I call it, and my exercise ball (there is also some resistance bands and jump rope down there too). I have three phones, four when I am on call - I have my cell phone, my local phone that I never use yet get random Arabic speakers calling at least once a day and thus I just completely avoid, and my Vonage phone. Side note: CALL OR WRITE ME!!! I am getting kind of upset regarding the number of relationships with people that seem to have come to an end now that I live here. It is during times like this when I personally need people the most. I am getting tired of calling and leaving messages or being told there is not much time to talk or writing and getting no response. There are a number of people who I thought valued the relationships we had who have basically ceased contact with me. Many sent me short notes earlier this year saying they are super busy, but I believe that is a bullshit excuse. When someone says they are busy over and over again or never responds, I then just view them as assholes and give up. We are all busy. It is about putting in an effort to stay in touch with the people who care about you and vice versa. It is a matter of priorities. Is a few minutes really that much time to ask? It is frankly hurtful. Coming here is such a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I worry a lot that I lost relationships because of it. This place is very isolating and the lack of people back home staying in contact only makes it worse. I am definitely willing to make the effort, I just need folks on the other end doing the same. But on a positive there have been a few people who have done a really good job of staying in touch and you have absolutely no idea how much that means to me. I am ever grateful for it. Again, please stay in touch!
The dining table that I mostly use for my computers and subsequently where I spend most of my time when I am not sleeping or at work. The computer on the right is my personal computer, the one on the left is my work computer. The little quilt on the wall was made by my mommy and I LOVE it (hint, hint, Mom, make me more por favor!). And the cabinet thingy does not have much in it (right now just a ceramic shoe from the Netherlands with all kinds of different foreign coins, a couple decorative eggs, and a pot with shells from a local beach). My goal is to fill it with little pots and such from my future travels around the Old World.
My living area. I totally love the colonial meets modern look (note my sarcasm). And I did give in and purchased two plants - Stacy and Stew. I do not spend much time in this area aside from watching a DVD every now and then. Send me more DVDs! Wow, this post is turning into basically a plea for attention...And off my living area is the empty patio that collects an insane amount of dust and dirt. I have to sweep it every week or so. But I do have grand plans for this rather pathetic little space: a hammock. I am thinking I am going to buy myself a Mayan one when I am on vacay with my family in Mexico over the holidays.
The kitchen. Nothing special about this space. Nearly all of the kitchen stuff (and basically everything else in the apartment) belongs to QF. But I do try to cook. I do not believe I am a bad cook, I just do not like to do it very often. But I do like to hand wash dishes, especially to music, and thus the dishwasher has seen no action. And the briefcase thingy on top of the frig is not a bomb, the cutlery came in. Also, if you send me cards and postcards, I will post them on the wall next to the frig with the rest of my collection. :) My grocery bags. They use an insane amount of plastic sacks in the grocery stores and thus I am just doing my part to limit their abuse. I particularly like how my bags say, 'FOR A GREENER AMERICA.' Oh well...
I have my own washer and dryer! It is a beautiful, beautiful thing to have such a luxury! And Gogl is a pretty decent laundry detergent (took me 20 minutes to pick it out a couple months ago because all the detergents were in Arabic or French). And the fabric softener was purchased on my trip to San Diego. There is only one place that sells it here and they charge $10 for a pack of 40!
My bathroom. Again, nothing special except for my beloved tropics shower curtain. It was the lone thing I ever bought for myself (I did buy my mom some silverware from Williams-Sonoma) working at Pottery Barn Kids in college (it was the only job I flat out quit...I only lasted about two months). The bathroom also has a bidet (on the other side of the toilet), but it just collects dust.

My bedroom. A pretty boring space that sees a lot of sleeping. My bed is quite big (I tend to lay across it a lot) and comfy, I totally dig the vanity, and the massive closet rocks!

My wheels. Probably one of the poopiest rides in Doha (most folks drive new rides (see Lambo post) around here), but it is safe and reliable and barely cost me anything! It even has a tape player!

I figured I would throw in a picture of my office while I was at it. You cannot see it, but there is also a cabinet in this space for books and such, a whiteboard that I write down lots of random things, two chairs, and some plants. Students particularly like my little airplane collection in front of my computer (you cannot see them, but they are there).

So that is my shit. The end.

No comments: