Friday, November 28, 2008

What I Am Thankful For

This was my first thanksgiving away from home and I did not like it. Obviously, Thanksgiving is not a holiday here and thus I had to work. And it was one of the longest days of work I have experienced here (8:00 a.m. to almost 1:00 a.m.) due to lots going on. We did do a Thanksgiving lunch thingy, but it was very work-oriented (rushed, formal...) and so I believe it lost its authenticity. But I did do some killer cooking for it! I made a divine apple cobbler from scratch (it looked like poo and probably came out as poo, but was so yummy) and worked with a colleague to prepare the turkey, gravy, and stuffing. I always surprise myself with my cooking abilities. I tend to think I am a bad cook, but I am actually a pretty good cook...I just lack the will to cook frequently. But this post is about what I am thankful for. I am going to go back to my elementary school days and present to you a list. I do not believe we really think about this sort of stuff very often. Here are ten things I am thankful for (this is not a complete list, just the ten things that came to my mind first):

1. Vacation. I leave tonight for the U.K. for a week! I am so looking forward to this break! Thank goodness for good friends who I will be visiting, cold weather (I miss seasons!), and good alcohol. And a stronger dollar. And then in a couple weeks I am going to Mexico with my family! And thank goodness for frequent flyer programs. I am accumulating lots of miles for future travels!

2. Amazing family and friends. This is rather self explanatory, but frankly my relationships sustain me. They really do. The bonds I have with people are the most important things in the world to me. They rule my life - they give me so much joy, but also grief at times. In the end, I would be nothing without the people in my life who I care so much about and vice versa.

3. The cleaners. I have two of the most amazing cleaners working in the buildings that I supervise. These two ladies are pure balls of sunshine even though they work shitty jobs. I love them! They have this amazing aura of goodness. Anyway, I am thankful for them being in my life because they do brighten my day (and I frequently need that) when they stop by to say hello (they rarely clean because I do not make a mess). However, a couple days ago I found this on my desk from them (they have so little, but give so much):



















4. My health. Also, rather self explanatory. I feel very blessed to be in the condition I am in. And I am also thankful for having health insurance. Health care is surprisingly decent here, but certain services are not readily available to me because I am a single female. It sort of feels like my rights have been taken away from me. AND THAT PISSES ME OFF. So not only am I thankful for my health, but I am also thankful for the freedoms I have in the United States.

5. Thrift stores. I have quite the extensive wardrobe as well as some great furnishings and such thanks to all the good crap I have bought at thrift stores. Just gotta clean them up and they are good to go! Good for the wallet (no matter how much money I make, I will always be thrifty) and good for the planet (recycling).

6. M.I.A. An amazing. When I need to be fierce, I channel my inner M.I.A. I want to be M.I.A. when I grow up.7. Sunrises and sunsets. I totally love them. They are always unique and new and signify to me an opportunity to reflect and renew. I think this little quote by an unknown author says a lot...or at least it does to me: When the sun rises, it rises for everyone. Take care of our planet! We only got one!

8. Working in student affairs. I love working with students! It is such gratifying work to know that the role I play, a rather small one at that, does have an impact in their journey or story. It is the best feeling in the world to see students hold their heads a little higher (in other words, genuinely believe in themselves more) from the work you do with them and watch them develop into amazing people. Of course, there are difficult students who I want to shake, but I usually find a way to get through to them. Furthermore, I am especially thankful for the girls here who I have become very close with. Words cannot describe how remarkable they are. I feel so lucky to have them in my life. They are the only reason why I am still here.

9. S'mores. I heart s'mores. Especially ones made while camping. A great little treasure of happiness. Other foods I am thankful for: chicken strips, PB (creamy) and J (raspberry) sandwiches, fajitas (no mushrooms), grape soda, pad see ew, pierogies, riesling wine, beer (preferably NOT cheap shit...except Hi Life), cheeseburgers and strawberry milkshakes from Dick's Drive In, sangria, and basically anything made by my momma.

10. The internet. I have no idea how I would do just about anything without the internet. It is so intertwined in my life.

Honorable mention: binder clips because they are useful for so many things!

This was kind of fun!

No comments: