Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Looking for the plant store

I really need life in my apartment. I believe having more life in here will make it feel more like a home (one of these days I hope to get a pet too) as well as counter the starkness that is the desert. I also need to get my gardening fix (I find I like to garden). So I need some plants. I have decided I need five or six. However, finding plants here is proving to be very difficult. I have yet to locate a nursery and Carrefour (the French version of Walmart) does not have a plant section. I hear that there is a plant souq (market), but it is not the season for plants. Anyway, I did a little research and found out there is a farm thingy outside Doha owned by the government that sells plants at wholesale price throughout the year (part of their plan to Qatarize everything). This information made my Friday and thus the next morning I was on the hunt for this place (it has no address, just a sign). I knew it was past the Emir's palace (which is just past Education City). I had never been this direction. Therefore, I did not realize that just a couple minutes past my place it is basically the dang desert. It was so strange. Here are some pictures from my adventure:


Guess what? Road construction! What a surprise...


A lot is going on in this photo. Those buses are typical of the buses that carry the workers from various developing countries that I worry about (human rights!). Then you have the Qatari version of a truck stop behind the buses. I am weirdly fascinated with truck stops. They have their own subculture I find so interesting. And then there is the truck on the right side of the photo that cuts off my side of the road for no logical reason and as a result I have to drive off road to get around him. And then you have all the road lamps. Roads here either have no road lamps or there is a plethora of them.


In the States you have signs that warn of deer. Here you have signs that warn of camels.


Downtown Doha in the distance. This place really is growing out of the desert.

Note: I found the plant place. But it was closed. Another day. I WILL get my plants! I am on a mission.

No comments: