Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thanks for the love

I got several emails and messages since my last post. Thank you. A) It means people actually read this and B) y'all care about me! But it also made me reflect even more. Even though this experience has made me realize how resilient and tough I am, it also has made me realize how vulnerable I am too. I know I am not perfect (but I never was one who thought I was) and have a whole lot to learn. It just puts things into perspective. As one wise man by the name of Mister Rogers put it: Little by little we human beings are confronted with situations that give us more and more clues that we are not perfect.

Speaking of confronting situations, I went to the bank again today. Trip #5. And I finally got my dang card! The three main bank people initially went through the bank's paperwork and it looked like it was going to turn into the same story: we apologize for not locating your card, but if you give us your name and account number we will look into it... When I realized what was about to happen I asked for the dang manager. This was getting absurd and I was not going to go through this again. I explained my story to the manager dude and he agreed to look into it at that very moment. He went though the bank's massive stack of papers and located a 'Jase Colette Anderson.' I could not believe it. He asked if this was me and I told him it was likely me. How many Jases are there in the world (I have never even heard of this name before), particularly with the not so common middle name of Colette and common in the West but not here last name of Anderson? There was absolutely no way that paperwork belonged to anyone but me. So he quickly looked in the system and verified it...oh...was me. Duh! He then did a little work in his office and came out with a new card! Unbelievable! Finally, I was granted financial independence! Yet his clearly incompetent staff for two months saw this paperwork for a Jase Colette Anderson and assumed it was someone else. O to the M to the G.

And! I received the DVD/VCR combo player today I was supposed to have when I moved in nearly three months ago. So this whole time I have only been able to watch movies on my laptop! Anyway, I am realizing I am quite the wizard at hooking up electronics, particularly things to TV. It is kind of surprising since I do not possess much of an interest in this sort of stuff. And then I realized it could only play Region 2 DVDs. I was told I was getting a multiregion player, but NO...errr... But I had heard you can 'crack' these thingys with codes from the web. So I looked around, found a code, and abracadabra...it worked! I f**king amaze myself. So send me DVDs (you can send VHS tapes too)!!! :)

And I leave for America in just over two days. Looking forward to get my drink on...among other things. :)

No comments: