Thursday, September 4, 2008

Get your Ramadan on.

Ramadan Kareem!

I was quite worried about Ramadan. You cannot eat or drink in public. Driving, especially right before the breaking the fast, is out of the question (unless you want to be run over by someone who is hungry, thristy, needs a smoke, etc.). But it can be a really great time if you plan right. Work is more pleasant (not as many hours and people are much more chill). The gym is empty (usually have the whole place to myself). There are very few people shopping at certain hours of the day (just gotta make sure the store is open too at the time you want to shop). And there is a real festive atmosphere with lots of activity at night. Furthermore, I love walking around the residence halls at Iftar (the breaking of the fast) to see residents eating together. It is sort of like having Thanksgiving for a month.

Here are some pictures from Ramadan Nights:

A ground shot of the tent.


I make friends with kids everywhere. These little British girls were very proud of their henna and were quite eager to take me to the lady that did it for them. Another day...


I love these little girls! They kept taking turns giving each other some serious side eye. So damn cute!


CDA Setareh won a cool little table in the raffle! Jealous! BTW It is supposed to be blurry because I think it captures how excited she was perfectly!


Some dancers from a local Indian school...I think...


Little boy with some seriously cool face paint. He was busy staring at this light behind me.


Children doing a dance from the Kashmir region of India/Pakistan. I was sitting with two CDAs from Pakistan (among others) who got all excited when this group started and grooved in their seats throughout their performance. I guess the dances they performed are quite popular and I found myself totally digging the music. The little girl in the middle in the picture on top was by far the best. She never missed a beat and her facial expressions were great! Note: The kids in white are actually girls in the roles of boys.


An Indonesian group. Their first song was great (those instruments sounded really cool), but then the next few songs they performed, even though they were supposedly different, sounded just like the first. So I was ready to move on after the third song. Bring me more of the rockin' Kashmiri kids!

No comments: