Saturday, August 30, 2008

I feel like a proud mom

I had one of the best nights of my two months here, maybe even life, on Friday. One of my CDAs, Maha, had to organize an event for all the female residents in the residence halls (it is part of a CDA's job responsibilities). It was the first event of such size of the academic year and her first program ever. She put a lot of thought into it and decided a couple weeks ago she wanted to do a dance party. She did all the preparation. My role was just to support her and help her with things she could not do (make the stereo arrangements, buy the food, etc.). In the middle of last week I started to hear residents talking about going to the event and I was thrilled...word was getting out and thus the pressure was on! I wanted her event to go well because she had put so much energy into it (and she also took the MCAT earlier the same week). And it was a major success! The turnout was great and the party was a blast! I am really proud of her! I am also proud of the other female CDAs, especially my little team, who helped her with putting up decorations and just showing their love and support. But what was so great was seeing all the female residents just be. I had seen some of them without their abayas on, but it was great to see all of them come to the event, take off their abayas to reveal their beautiful hair all done up (or down...gives the expression "let your hair down" a new meaning) and cute outfits (it was in a closed space), and just laugh and dance the night away. I am reminded during moments like this how much we are all alike - we want to laugh and feel cared about and loved and just be ourselves. Plus, I laughed harder at this event than any other time since I came here. I laughed so hard I cried (the first time this has happened here and that is sad because I honestly do love laughing to where I cannot control myself) because they knew the moves to that Soulja Boy song (I guess along with kindness and soccer (or "It is footie, Jade!" as Maha tells me), the Superman dance is universal) and they loved to 'woof' during "Who let the dogs out?" And they got a kick out of teaching me some Arab dance moves. There was simply good times all around. Anyway, it is during times like this (opposite of the many times a day when I am frustrated and exhausted) when I realize why I am here. The role I play in their lives might be small, but I am so honored to simply have this opportunity to watch them grow and develop into truly remarkable human beings.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

That was a great post, Jaders. Congratulations! You're a mom now! :P