Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vonage works!

O to the M to the G. My Vonage works. There is a God! You know my number. Please call!!! It is why I got it!

This weekend was pretty sweet. Not as boring as they have been. First, on Thursday night, a few of us went to Turkey Central for mad good and cheap Arabic food. The bill came out to 139 QR (~$38) with plenty of leftovers split among seven people. Then we head to the apartment of some friends to drink some margaritas (with real booze!) and swim in the pool. Their apartment building is part of the Four Seasons (yeah, some student affairs professionals live at the Four Seasons here...) and is right on the water across the bay from the airport. I love this place. I can swim while watching the megayachts come and go from the hotel and airplanes take off and land at the airport from all over the world. Then it was back to my abode where I called my sister to surprise her with the news that I will be going to her wedding in early October. I loved her breaking down: "I am so happyyyyyyy! I am going to put you on the seating chart nowwwww!" Too funny! Now, no one can say I do not love my family (since I will being flying over 24 hours each way and dropped an insane amount of money to be there for her big day)!!!

Then on Friday I braved the mean streets of Doha for the first time on my own. I drove to the mall to do some grocery shopping. Not only did I find it without any problems, there were no issues with the roundabouts. Then I came home to nap because I needed one. Driving here is exhausting. That night I went with some other Carnegie Mellon staff to the souq (basically the old market). I have been wanting to go to the souq for a long time. I went in March on my visit and loved it, but have not had the opportunity to go since I moved here. We ate at an amazing Iraqi restaurant, walked around a bit (did not spend too much time walking around because of the humidity) and got some yummy gelato (I heart gelato). That was my Friday.

Saturday was my super intense gym day (I go to the gym the rest of the week, but Saturdays I reserve for a good ass whipping). Then Kristin and Rhys took me to lunch at a good French restaurant for my birthday. The place had milkshakes! There are loads of places with smoothies around here, but no milkshakes. I have had better milkshakes, but I enjoyed it immensely regardless. Gotta enjoy it while I can. Then we ran a number of errands including a stop at Megamart where I saw this:

There are a number of SUVs driving around Doha with pictures of the royal family on them. Usually it is just the Emir and the Heir Apparent. I have no idea who the third dude is. But legend has it that one person did this and the Emir saw it and gave him some money and thus now lots of people do this hoping that the Emir will see it and give them money too. It looks just awesome...... Then after our day out and about in Doha, I napped. That was my Saturday.

And now it is Sunday and I am back at work. That is all for now. Boring post. But whatever.

No comments: