Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Norwegian Jade

It has been a few days since my last post. My bad. I have been busying with training. Training is now over and I am ready to be one of the best residence hall directors ever! However, you, my friend, could probably care less about my training and thus I will spare you the details. I do not have any new stories about my adventures through immigration. I moved into my new apartment yesterday. It is way nicer than my other one (and it does not smell like ass). However, the bed needed to be put together (mattress over here, box spring over there, frame is in several pieces...) and the shower curtain was missing. You learn here to expect these sort of things and just make it work in the mean time. So they, the maintainence peeps, will be fixing my bed and shower today...hopefully...you also learn very quicky here that patience, adaptability and a sense of humor are paramount to survival...or you would go absolutely bananas and be on the next flight home. But oh wait, Immigration still has my passport and I now need permission to leave the country. Damn it! So scratch that. :)

Anyway, I took another trip to the rug shop. I had never been to a rug shop (I could not even tell you where one was) before I moved here and frankly could care less about rugs, but now I have gone to one twice in two weeks and the dude knows me by my first name (and he knows I have a thing for orange soda). I am doomed to leave this country with a rug or two that will likely put a fatty dent in my bank account (I have a particular fondness for Qum rugs, silk rugs that literally change colors).

I have today off due to working over the weekend. Kristin and I are going shopping (Mission: super wonderful mattress pad) at Villagio (the fanciest mall I have ever seen...there is an ice skating rink in the middle of all the, of course, American chain restaurants, stores for all my needs and wants and then some, and a GONDOLA!) and then we are going to a BBQ at la casa de Dr. Roberts. So today is a rather chill day (except for the hard workout I put myself through in the a.m.). I also did a little possible trip planning (I will be able to come and go from the country as I please once I get my papers back and a multiple exit permit is granted) and found the most amazing thing! The Norwegian Jade! What a wonderful name because my name is Jade too (no way, man!) and I am part Norwegian! It is a ship that sails primarily in the Mediterranean (I am focusing my sights on Greece, Turkey and Italy). I am not a big fan of cruises, but after backpacking around Europe a couple times I like the idea of still being able to go to several different places (to reach by 30 by 30 goal), but keeping all my crap in one locale. And the price is not bad. I am thinking late fall or next spring. Who is in? And I just want my picture taken in front of it. Word.

No comments: