Friday, July 25, 2008

Movies, TGI Friday's and My Bed

Going to the movies here is kind of a frustrating experience for me. Yesterday I went with a few peeps to see The Dark Knight. It was MUCH better than Get Smart, the movie we saw two Fridays ago (by the way, Fridays are our Saturdays here). Anyway, there are a number of differences between going to the movies here and going in the States. For one, you are assigned seats (and they enforce it!) and thus it is very important to make sure you buy all your tickets together if your group wants to sit together. And make sure you buy them early too because you do not want to sit in the very front or something. But this is not what makes going to the movies frustrating. What makes a trip to the movies frustrating are two things. Number 1: The lack of movie etiquette!!! I am not Emily Post or anything, but people have no manners. People not only do not turn off their phones at the movies, they answer the damn things! And they are constantly getting up and moving around and their kiddies are running around causing havoc! It is so distracting. For much of the movie yesterday there was a dude's head at the bottom of the screen because he was standing for whatever reason. In sum, people show little respect for their fellow movie patrons who shelled out 35 QR (about $10) to enjoy a movie in peace! One of these days I am going to snap and tell them to sit their ass down and shut up or go the f*** home. And they buy up all the popcorn and are rude to the movie place staff people (I cannot remember what they are called in this temporary moment of frustration...). But I will spare you the details of that incident. I will just let you know that I wanted to drop kick one dude in particular, but restrained myself due to visions of being deported. So on to Number 2: Cutting out kissing scenes. Kissing and such is a big no no. Violence and death equals no problem. But a little kissy kissy comes from the dark side or something. And they do such a bad job of cutting it out. Like you do not know what happens! Shoot... It is rather funny, but also quite absurd. I want my money back, beetches.

I do not like chain restaurants very much. Scratch that...at all. I just do not feel they have much soul (talk about dark side...) and thus whenever possible I would rather go to a mom and pop place (I think the folks in Syracuse can attest to my whining about our frequent ventures to the chain restaurants on Eric). However, I think I have gone to TGI Friday's more times in these past few weeks than I have in my entire life. And my body hates me more and more each time we go.

But one thing my body is thanking me for is my new bedding. I bought a mattress pad for my bed a couple days ago as well as new sheets and a duvet cover. The mattress pad has made a huge difference. It is so comfortable and thus I have a new best friend. The new sheets and duvet cover also put a smile on my face. First, their thread count (softness) is so much higher (I am totally turning into a thread count snob). Second, they no longer look like something out of a plantation home. I hated the stuff that was originally on the bed. It put me in a bad mood, but now my bed is a slice of heaven. Now I just need to get the rest of my apartment in order. One of these days....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That would so annoy me if someone were to answer their phone while I am watching a movie! I would definitly drop kick them!

As for your bedding, the way you described it makes me want to jump on a plane to Quatar and take a nap! ;)

Anonymous said...

Jade's pet peeves, thus far:

--Poor movie theater etiquette

--Chain restaurants

--Threadbare sheets

Check.