Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jet Lag: Round 2

Gosh. I have nothing to really write about. However, I feel like if I do not write something then people will stop coming back and thus I feel like have to put SOMETHING down. So here I go.

Jet lag. The insane amount of jet lag I experienced moving here was not an anomaly because I am going through quite a bout again after my recent trip to the States. I have been back since late last Monday and I am STILL jet lagged. I have experienced jet lag longer than the length of my trip to San Diego! Disgusting! The thing that is so frustrating is that I am tired. REALLY TIRED. However, I do not sleep. A 24 hour period usually goes like this for me: get up in the morning around 8:00 a.m. dead tired wishing I could stay in bed, I work until I am done with what I need to do (usually around 6:00 p.m.), next I make myself a little dinner, then off to the gym I go, usually running for an hour (you think that alone would make one sleep well at night), and then finally I come home to fart (not literally, but figuratively) around my apartment. By this point, 11:00 p.m. or so, I am exhausted and hopeful I will finally get a full night of sleep. I go to bed at approximately midnight after doing a little reading. I do fall asleep...BUT...then I wake up WIDE AWAKE an hour later. Just one hour! Then I am up for a good three or four hours. During these hours I read and play around on the internet. Finally, I go back to sleep between 4:00-6:00 a.m. and thus I only sleep roughly four hours of sleep a night. I am constantly hopeful the next night will be different because there is no way this can go on forever. I am a sleeper, dang it! I love getting eight to ten hours of sleep a night. But coming back here from the States is just the pits because of the drastic effects it has on my sleeping pattern. I do not know what to do. I drink warm milk, stay awake from caffeine, and such (but no sleeping pills because I have had bad experiences with them in the past) to no avail. All I can do is stay hopeful that it will be different the next night.

But other than that, nada. Just the usual. Working a lot. Working out. Spending way too much time on the internet. Not sleeping. I am going to start looking for a car next week. A car is a necessary evil. Public transportation is basically nonexistent (only in certain parts of town and used only by male workers), the taxi system is overburden and thus takes one well over an hour to pick you up (if it shows up at all), biking will just result in certain death (and more than likely walking will too), and I can only depend on others for rides for so long. In other words, I need my own wheels. I have a few makes and models in mind as well as a price range. Nearly everyone drives really nice cars here, but there is no way in hell I am going to buy a fancy car because of how reckless drivers are here. I am way too practical for that. I would rather buy a safe used car to drive around the streets of Doha because if I do get in an accident ("no, inshallah, no...") I will not be all upset over a damaged car (it would have depreciated enough already). So hopefully in a week or two I will have photos of my new ride.

Books I am reading right now:
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
I am only about 100 pages in, but it is good. Talks about what would possibly happen to the planet if we just disappeared one day. It is kind of technical and thus I can only read so much at a time, but still very interesting.
The Leadership Challenge by James Kouzes and Barry Posner
I am reading this book for work purposes because I am designing a leadership program for residents with a focus on sustainability. Lots of practical wisdom on leadership based on research.

BTW, here are some books and movies, some I have read or seen and some I have not, on my wish list.
Books:
Marley and Me
Dune (I read it for a class on Islam a few years ago and now I want to explore it again)
The Alchemist

Movies:
American History X
Wall-E
The Shawshank Redemption
Monsters, Inc.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

So yeah. That is about it. Please stay in touch with emails and calls because I NEED THEM!!! It is tough being here on your own, especially in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep.

No comments: